What you need to know about new Australian Privacy Legislation
The new Australian Privacy Legislation went live on 12th March 2014. New data protection laws introduced restrict how Australian businesses collect, store and use data. These are outlined in the Australian Privacy Principles (APP).
The new laws affect all industries. My range of clients are receiving advice from industry associations that often have templates, policies and provide advise that is specific to that industry.
The key changes include:
- Businesses must show transparency with regards to the use of a customers’ or prospected customers’ personal information via legally worded communications. This communication needs to occur on a regular basis.
- The Australian Privacy Legislation also gives the customer or prospect the opportunity to remain anonymous, unless this is deemed impractical.
- It also states that all personal information collected must directly relate to the business purpose at hand; ensuring that all personal information held must be up to date, accurate, relevant and not misleading.
Failure to comply could result in fines from the Australian Privacy Commissioner.
In particular, businesses need to review:
- Email Templates/Correspondence
- Facsimile Transmissions Cover Sheets
- Direct mail newsletters
- Use of database information
- Weekly Offer Messages
- Web-based Data Capture forms
- Email Preference Centres
- ISP providers and their use of data, eg cookies and remarketing
- Forms used for clients signing up for service or rewards programs
- Currently privacy policies
- Opt out notification statements
Any digital communications that are sent or presented by a business will need to be reviewed. No matter where you work or what business you are in, make sure your workplace finds out the legal requirements required for your business. More details on the changes can be found on the Australian Government website Privacy law reform website. If in doubt, contact your industry body and/or your own business lawyers.Blog and tagged Australian Privacy Legislation 2014, Hall of Fame Marketing Bendigo