Marketing and Generation Gaps in Australia
What are the relevant purchasing differences in Baby Boomers vs Seniors?
There are many stereotypes and assumptions about Australia’s older generations. The most recent edition of Marketing Magazine looked at the cold, hard facts about life, love and attitudes of those born before 1960. Boomers were born 1949 to 1964 (depending on who you ask). Seniors were born before 1949.
Where do they live:
- Seniors: 35.1% NSW inc ACT, 24.8% VIC, 19% QLD, 9.5% WA, 8.5% SA, 2.7% TAS, 0.4% NT – 57.2% in capital cities
- Boomers: 33.5% NSW inc ACT, 24.8% VIC, 20.2% QLD, 10.1% WA, 8.2% SA, 2.5% TAS, 0.7% NT – 56% in capital cities
- Seniors: Male – 46% and Female – 54%
- Boomers: Male – 49% and Female – 51%
- Seniors: Married/Defacto – 62.2%, Widowed 23.4%, Separated – 1.9%, Divorced – 8.6%, Single – 3.8%, Engaged/Going To – 0.2%
- Boomers: Male – Married/Defacto – 71.9%, Widowed 4.9%, Separated – 3.9%, Divorced – 12.3%, Single – 6.7%, Engaged/Going To – 0.4%
- Seniors: Male – own 81.7%, Paying off 4.9%, Renting 11.8%
- Boomers: Male – own 51.3&, Paying off 29.2%, Renting 18%
Dog or Cat:
- Seniors: Male – 26.3% dog, 15.8% cat, 6.1% both, 51.3% none
- Boomers: Male – 41.7% dog, 24.4% cat, 11.5% both, 39.3% none
Internet usage per week:
- Seniors: Male – 15+ hrs 12.9%, 7-15hrs 14.9%, < 7hrs 35.8%, None 36.4%
- Boomers: Male – 15+ hrs 27.3%, 7-15hrs 24.1%, < 7hrs 33.4%, None 15.2%
- Seniors: $296,000
- Boomers: $379,000
Top Ten Activities:
- Seniors: – went to ballet, bought from a catalogue, dressmaking, stamp collecting, bought a lottery ticket, went to an RSL/Leagues Club, played a poker machine, went to the live theatre, went to a jazz/ classical or blues performance, bought something over the phone.
- Boomers: bought a lottery ticket, played a poker machine, rented a car for leisure purposes, dressmaking, bought something from a telephone sales offer, went to a jazz/ classical or blues performance, went to an RSL/Leagues Club, bought something over the phone, used a TAB to place a bet, bought a scratch ticket
No real surprises, but was interested in the average savings and question what that figure is made up of (eg super, investments, or just savings). Clearly if your target market are older, you will need to use more traditional advertising instead of digital to reach them. Boomers are gamblers, how can we build that into our marketing? Games, competitions, social media? It will be interesting to watch these categories over time.
Blog and tagged Hall of Fame Marketing Bendigo, Target Marketing